If you are looking for a meaty dish that is unique and familiar at the same time, try bean, chickpea, and lentil vegan chili. This chili is hearty, filling, and meaty. The unique blend of spices provides a non-traditional flavour, without making the chili too different.
Bean, chickpea, and lentil vegan chili is a low fat, low sodium main dish that both vegans and non-vegans will enjoy.
Diced tomatoes with no salt added and crushed tomatoes are much lower in sodium than typical tomato sauces, and create a delicious low sodium base for this chili. Protein comes from a blend of chickpeas, white navy beans, kidney beans, red lentils, and soy mince.
The flavour blend of allspice, cinnamon, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle pepper, and bay leaf is mildly spicy with a hint of Indian flavours. A small amount of molasses or brown sugar can be added to deepen the flavour and balance the tartness of the tomatoes. The use of a low sodium vegetable broth keeps this chili low sodium without it tasting like a low salt dish.
If you are looking for a quick dish, this chili comes together fast, especially if you pre-cook the chickpeas and beans (or use canned beans and chickpeas). Although you can make the chili quickly, it also works well as a slow-cooked dish, or can be simmered for longer.
Bean, chickpea, and lentil vegan chili is pictured below with baked potato, topped with amazing hummus, and steamed carrots with dill.
Bean, chickpea, and lentil vegan chili
- 1 can Diced tomatoes with no salt added
- 2/3 cup Chickpeas cooked or canned
- 2/3 cup White navy beans cooked or canned
- 1/3 cup Kidney beans cooked or canned
- 2/3 cup Red lentils cooked
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes
- 1 Bay leaf remove after cooking
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Chipotle pepper
- 1/4 cup Vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Soy mince dehydrated
- 1 tsp Molasses or brown sugar optional
- Simmer crushed tomatoes and spices. If using dried lentils, boil 1/3 cup of red lentils in water for 12 minutes while the crushed tomatoes simmer with the spices, then drain the lentils and add with the beans and chickpeas.
- Add cooked beans, chickpeas, and lentils.
- Add soy mince, vegetable broth, and crushed tomatoes.
- Simmer 10 more minutes, add additional spices if desired, and serve.