A simple, quick pasta with spices and vegetables that can be served hot or cold. You can mix and match the kinds of spices and vegetables based on this customizable recipe.
For a hot pasta dish, you may want to stir fry the vegetables while the pasta is cooking. You can also add the raw vegetables at the end for an extra fresh-tasting dish. If you want the fastest, easiest pasta, use raw vegetables! In this recipe, I’ll describe how to use raw vegetables to make a quick and easy pasta dish that can also be prepared as a cold pasta salad.
I like to mix oil, vinegar, and spices and then drizzle the mixture over the pasta and vegetables. To make this quick seasoning mixture, add the following to a cup or bowl and whisk together:
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chipotle chili pepper
- Nutritional yeast
- Soy sauce or salt (optional)
Pasta with Spices and Vegetables Instructions
Bowtie pasta works well for this dish, but you can use any kind of pasta such as spaghetti, macaroni, rigatoni, or penne. To prepare this quick pasta, cook the pasta according to package directions. Typically you will need to add the pasta to boiling water and then boil for 7-9 minutes.
While the pasta is boiling, mix the spices with oil and vinegar according to the recipe above and set the dressing mix aside. Wash the vegetables and chop into bite-sized pieces. Tomatoes, bell peppers, kale, broccoli, sprouts, spinach, and onions are good options. You can use any vegetables you like!
When the pasta finishes cooking, drain and rinse. Although you do not have to rinse the pasta, I usually like to do a quick rinse with hot water while the pasta is still in the strainer or colander. This keeps the pasta from sticking together. If you are making a cold pasta salad, rinse the pasta in cold water and then let it cool fully before proceeding. To make a quick pasta, proceed with the steps below without waiting for the pasta to cool.
Now you can add the pasta, seasonings, and vegetables together in a pot or bowl, or you can prepare individual servings to taste. Individual servings can be customized to each person’s liking. Add pasta to a plate, drizzle with seasoning mix, and add the desired vegetables. Sprinkle with additional nutritional yeast or seasoning mix if desired, and serve!
This pasta multiplies well and is an easy, shareable potluck dish. For potlucks, I like to serve this as a cold pasta salad. Increase the quantity easily by doubling or tripling the recipe to make more pasta and dressing. I also like to add additional vegetables such as finely chopped or shredded carrots, and seeds such as hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or sesame seeds to add variety and make this dish even more filling.
Quick Pasta with Spices and Vegetables
- 4 cups uncooked dry pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp chipotle chili pepper powder Optional, can also use cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce Optional, can use 1/8 tsp salt instead
- 1 large tomato Can use 1 cup grape tomatoes instead
- 1 cup kale
- Cook the pasta according to package directions (add pasta to boiling water and boil for 7-9 minutes).
- While pasta is cooking, mix all ingredients for the spice mix and whisk together.
- Wash vegetables and dice into small pieces. In addition to tomato and kale, you can also use bell pepper, broccoli, sprouts, spinach, onion, or other vegetables.
- Drain the pasta and rinse in hot water. Drizzle the spice mix over the pasta, add diced vegetables, stir, and serve. Or, to make individual servings, add pasta to a plate, drizzle with seasoning mix, and add the desired vegetables. Sprinkle with toppings such as hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, or additional seasoning mix if desired, and serve.
More Pasta Recipes
Looking for more vegan pasta ideas? Check out these recipes!
You must be logged in to post a comment.