When you want to make an easy one-dish meal or side dish that does not require much work, consider this sweet potatoes with guacamole recipe. This is an easy and simple dish that is filling and healthy.
Sweet potatoes are nutritious. They contain vitamins, antioxidants, and fibre, which are all good for you (https://time.com/5498125/are-sweet-potatoes-healthy/). For the most health benefits, keep the skin on the sweet potatoes rather than peeling them. The skin contains many nutrients and is high in fibre. You can use different colours of sweet potatoes in this recipe. I used regular orange sweet potatoes.
I like to prepare sweet potatoes by cutting them into pieces about 3cm thick, and steaming them for 40 minutes. Make sure to wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly before cooking.
Guacamole is easy to make. Chop and/or mash one avocado, dice half a tomato, and mince about a tablespoon of red onion. Add 1 clove of garlic (crushed) or 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of lime juice and 1/4 tsp of minced cilantro. Stir all the ingredients together, and the guacamole is ready. For a tomato-free version, check out this red pepper guacamole recipe.
Kinds of food chopping
I use the word “dice” or “chop” to refer to cutting in small cubes. “Mince” means to cut up very small.
Preparing the final dish
Once the sweet potatoes finish steaming, top the sweet potatoes with guacamole and serve. The hot sweet potatoes and cool guacamole are a nice combination. The guacamole is savoury with a touch of sour, which brings out the sweetness of the sweet potatoes. The creamy avocado in guacamole is the perfect texture for sweet potato topping. This sweet potatoes with guacamole recipe is a delicious and healthy dish that you can eat on its own as a one-dish meal, or as a colourful side dish.
Sweet Potatoes with Guacamole Recipe
- 1 Medium size Sweet Potato
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Tomato
- 1 Tbsp Red onion
- 1 Clove Garlic Or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Lime juice
- 1/4 Tsp Cilantro
- Wash the sweet potato thoroughly. Keep the skin on for a healthier dish.
- Cut the sweet potato into slices about 3cm thick, and cut these in half or quarters.
- Steam the sweet potato pieces for 40 minutes in the basket of a food steamer or in a steamer basket set above a pot of boiling water.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare guacamole. Chop and/or mash one avocado, dice half a tomato, and mince about a tablespoon of red onion. Add 1 clove of garlic (crushed) or 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of lime juice and 1/4 tsp of minced cilantro. Stir all the ingredients together, and the guacamole is ready.
- When the sweet potatoes finish steaming, top with guacamole and serve.