Mushroom onion coconut curry soup is an easy, quick, and healthy soup that is full of flavour.
You can make this soup mild or spicy according to your preference. Mushroom onion coconut curry soup is simple and delicious on its own, and can can be a base for other kinds of soup. You can add additional ingredients to your liking. Curry powder is healthy, by the way! So you can enjoy this soup knowing that it is a healthy and delicious side dish.
Mushroom onion coconut curry soup ingredients
- Half a large yellow onion
- 4 fresh mushrooms (cremini mushrooms work well)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1.5 tbsp vegan soup mix or vegetable bouillon plus 2 cups water, or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cups coconut milk
Stir frying the onions, mushrooms, and garlic brings out the flavour and makes the finished soup taste rich. Begin by heating a pot or deep pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
While the pot pre heats, dice the onion and set aside. Dice the mushrooms and set aside separately. The pieces should be quite small – about 1cm square.
Mince the garlic and ginger very fine.
When the oil begins to smoke slightly, the pot is hot and ready for cooking. Begin by stir frying the diced onion for 3-5 minutes or until the pieces start to become brown. Add the mushrooms and fry for 5 more minutes until the mushrooms are well browned.
Add garlic and ginger. Cook for 2 more minutes and add curry powder and dry soup mix (if using). Stir thoroughly to coat all the onions and mushrooms, and then slowly pour in the water (or vegetable broth). Add soy sauce and lime juice. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes to blend the flavours and fully infuse the broth with the richness of the onions and mushrooms. Turn the heat down to very low and add the coconut milk.
Stir thoroughly and cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through. The soup is ready to serve. This soup is the perfect side dish to accompany tomato avocado tofu bacon bagels or sandwiches!
Mushroom Onion Coconut Curry Soup
- 1/2 Yellow onion
- 4 Fresh mushrooms cremini mushrooms work well
- 2-3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 3 tbsp Curry powder
- 1.5 tbsp
Vegan soup mix or vegetable bouillonOr replace water with vegetable broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1-2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 2 cups Coconut milk
- Begin by pre-heating a pot with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Meanwhile, dice the onions, mushrooms, and garlic and set each aside.
- Stir fry onions for 3-5 minutes or until the pieces begin to brown.
- Add mushrooms, and stir fry with the onions for an additional 5 minutes.
- When the mushrooms and onions are well-browned, add ginger and garlic. Stif fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add curry powder and dry vegan soup mix. Stir thoroughly to coat all the onions and mushrooms, and then slowly pour in the water (or vegetable broth).
- Add soy sauce and lime juice. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and add coconut milk. Stir and cook for 5 minutes or until the soup is heated through, and serve.