Bok choy and mixed vegetable stir fry with quinoa is a healthy and quick dish. This stir fry is light tasting, simple, and low in fat. Quinoa is a healthy, high protein grain that cooks quickly, and is a versatile base for many different dishes. This stir fry can also be served with rice or noodles instead of quinoa.
You can try different vegetables in this stir fry depending on your tastes and preferences. In this stir fry, onions, peppers, carrots, bok choy, and broccoli come together for a colourful, crisp dish.
I used tofu, an optional add-in, to make this dish more filling. Additional options include soy curls, soy mince, chickpeas, or cashews. Easily customize this stir fry to create a variety of different dishes.
To brown the tofu while still just using one pan, start the onions, peppers, and carrots first. Then move the vegetables to one side of the pan. In the open half of the pan, cook tofu until browned. Stir periodically to brown all sides of the tofu. When the tofu is nicely browned and crispy, mix everything together and add bok choy and broccoli.
The sauce is also easy to customize. In this version, sesame oil provides a nutty flavour, agave adds sweetness, soy sauce adds a savoury taste, and lime juice brings a hint of sour.
I added seasonings including oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and chipotle pepper. Customize these to taste, adding chipotle pepper until you reach the the desired spiciness.
Top with sesame seeds or finely chopped cashews (optional).
Bok choy and mixed vegetable stir fry with quinoa
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
Mixed vegetable stir fry
- Bok choy
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp agave
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper
- 1 tbsp Top with sesame seeds or finely chopped cashews optional
- To cook quinoa, bringing water to a boil. Wash the quinoa in a strainer, drain, and then add to the boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes, then remove from heat. Cover with a lid and for 10 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, wash and dice the vegetables, and then stir fry in a hot pan. Start with onions and carrots. Add peppers after a few minutes, then bok choy.
- Move onions, carrots, and peppers to one side of the pan. Add a bit of sesame oil to the open side of the pan. Cook tofu until browned.
- Once tofu has browned on all sides, mix everything together and add bok choy, broccoli, and vegetable broth. Cover with a lid to steam the broccoli.
- When broccoli is still crisp and is bright green (after cooking for about 2 minutes), add remaining sauce ingredients and seasonings. Stir thoroughly and serve the mixed vegetables spooned over the quinoa.
- Top with sesame seeds or finely chopped cashews (optional).